Buyer’s Checklist: How to Shop for an Employee Engagement Platform
If you’re shopping for an employee engagement solution, you’re probably familiar with the many reasons why employee engagement is important.
Strong engagement is linked to better financial performance, productivity, retention, and more. Engaged employees bring their best selves to work. They are more likely to do their best work and contribute to the success of an organization.
So where to begin? A simple checklist can help you determine the most important needs for your organization. You can use the checklist to review criteria as you watch demos and interview vendors. A checklist can also help you communicate your decision-making criteria to stakeholders.
Finding the right employee engagement solution represents an opportunity to save time, money, and hassles while strengthening or even transforming your work culture. An innovative partner can provide thought leadership and expertise to elevate your strategy.
Ultimately, a strong employee engagement platform can deliver enormous value—enabling you to gather, understand, and act on employee feedback, helping everyone around you be happier and more successful at work.
6 questions to ask about employee engagement solutions
There are six important questions to ask as you evaluate employee engagement platforms. Each of the questions is part of the buyer’s checklist. Keep reading below for a deeper look at each question.
1. Do the analytics deliver targeted and meaningful insights?
Employee engagement surveys allow you to gather more feedback than ever before. In addition to measuring employee engagement, you can also zero in on critical moments of the employee experience, from onboarding to exit.
But without a tool to translate data into actionable insights, your organization can easily be swamped by the required analysis, hindering meaningful change. Advanced analytics can cut through the noise and manual analysis and deliver the right insights. Here’s what that looks like:
- Interactive dashboards—on desktop and mobile—automatically analyze feedback to deliver immediate results.
- Artificial intelligence recommends tailored actions for each manager based on their team’s results.
- Role-based reporting ensures that managers, leaders, and HR teams have the right insights to drive success.
- Predictive analytics reveal employee populations with higher risk of attrition, lower customer satisfaction, or more safety incidents.
- Intuitive data visualization highlights opportunities to provide focus and guidance and makes data easy to digest.
- Cross-program analytics provide a holistic view of the employee journey, from onboarding to exit.
2. Is the user experience delightful and intuitive?
Even with the best of intentions, managers and employees won’t adopt software if the technology is complicated, difficult to access, or painful to use. More and more, employees expect software to reflect the intuitive user experiences they find in consumer software.
To ensure adoption across your organization, look for a platform that delivers on these important elements:
- Employee-friendly surveys offer an elegant user experience on par with leading consumer software.
- Action-taking tools provide managers with targeted resources and guidance to take collaborative action with the support of their teams.
- A holistic approach combines engagement, learning, and performance in one platform.
- Best-practice confidentiality, data privacy, security, and global compliance protect user and stakeholder trust.
3. Is the approach anchored in modern research and people science expertise?
Technology alone can’t transform your employee feedback approach. It’s equally important to find a partner who can help you generate executive buy-in, help your organization develop a more frequent approach to conversations and improvement, and build manager and employee capabilities.
Look for a partner who is highly experienced in modern organizational science, change management, and can provide the following resources and services:
- In-house organizational science experts help align programs with your strategy and desired outcomes.
- Change management support builds confidence, excitement, and shared understanding within your organization.
- Industry-leading research ensures survey design, questions, and action-taking content are informed by best-practice thought leadership.
- Benchmarks are based on both anonymized employee data and representative industry panels for more valid comparisons.
4. How are insights gleaned from open-ended questions and comment analytics?
Quantitative feedback is a must-have, but often the real story is hidden in qualitative feedback—namely, comments. It can take weeks to surface themes, sentiment, and trends across thousands of comments. To spend your time more efficiently, choose an engagement solution with leading comment analytics. This looks like:
- Natural language processing (NLP) automatically surfaces qualitative insights on sentiment and themes.
- Highly accurate algorithms organize comments into workplace topics, making them more actionable.
- Foreign language translation and analytics enable insights for diverse global organizations.
5. Can the solution support People Success strategy?
A People Success strategy enables employees to bring their best selves to work—in order to do their best work. The right platform supports this strategy by providing insights into employee experience, and by helping more managers and employees to take joint ownership for their growth and engagement. Here are some important aspects of a solution that supports People Success:
- Platform can evolve to support a broader vision for a thriving culture of engaged employees and inspiring leaders.
- Feedback tools allow every employee to seek, provide, and act on timely input, fostering greater self-awareness and growth.
- Programs for Culture and for Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging (DIBs) help organizations grow stronger and make progress on goals.
- Employee experience data is available through integration of de-identified employee feedback with de-identified collaboration data.
- Built-in learning tools and videos guide users to learn new skills in the flow of work, empowering action and continuous improvement.
6. Is customer service highly responsive and reliable?
The last thing you want is a partner whose customer support is unresponsive and unreliable. You don’t want to send out a survey to your entire organization only to have people be unable to respond due to software downtime.
Instead, seek out a world-class team that will provide exactly the level of service and support you need, from day one of your implementation through every step of survey administration. Here’s what great customer service looks like:
- Reputation for excellent service is backed by customer satisfaction ratings and reviews.
- Experienced and collaborative customer success team delivers smooth project implementation and seamless ongoing support as needed.
- Flexible service model adapts to meet business needs as they evolve over time, including self-serve support, best-practice guidance, and end-to-end survey administration.
- Community resources include an online knowledge base, as well as access to events and forums with innovative peers to share best practices.